Last time I was mulling over the prospect of a little trompe l’oeil in the hall, but I must finish what I have started before I move on to a new project.

Nearly a year ago I started to convert an old, rather boring, uplighter, into a steampunk ‘domestic illumination tower’. I made good progress on the dismantling, preparation and early construction phases, but the annual BADFA convention, and summer got in the way.

The ‘after’ photo

But …  ’tis done!

The ‘before’ photo

Today, the finishing touches were added. Quite a mix of techniques were used; compression fittings, pipe bending, sheet copper work, electrical soldering. There were some arty bits, too. Faux copper finish in acrylics, and distress inks, and blending.

The full story will appear in the next edition of The Decorative Folk Artist, due out early in September. Here are a couple of pictures to whet your appetite.

My next piece will use more traditional methods; paint and brushes.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s