Archive for the ‘faux finish’ Category

The marble headboard is finished. The colours chosen for this take on Carrara marble are shades of grey (but not fifty!).

The finished piece

Rather than the extremes of black and white, I have used Paynes Grey for the darkest, and mixed a value 8-9 grey for the lightest. White was used for the light fault lines.

The finish was built on MDF, sealed, then base coated with a pale beige silk emulsion.  The final finish is satin. What do you think?

    

Advertisements

Left to right: flogger, softener, spalter, stippler

It helps to have the right tools for the job.

I have a commission for a large faux finish piece, so I need the proper equipment to get it done. On a small decorative article I can use my ordinary artist brushes and achieve the desired results, but this one will need more time, and the correct tools.

It took a while to track them down, but after checking out various suppliers, I ordered them on-line.

To achieve the desired finish the paint has to remain ‘open’ – workable – for considerably longer than it would normally, so it is mixed with a glazing medium. An industrial size pot is needed, rather than the small quantities used in art work.

My commission is for a large faux marbre (marble) headboard, so I need a large stippler and a badger hair softener. For faux bois (wood), I’ll need a horse-hair flogger and a spalter. They’ve all arrived, so I’m ready to paint!

This piece was commissioned as a ship’s log for the MV Bluedon. Not the official log, but one that is suitably decorative for a steampunk captain.

The base is a plain art journal, decorated using DecoArt products, including Media Texture Sand Paste, Modelling Paste, Crackle Paste, and Crackle Glaze, together with Media Fluid Acrylics. Embellishments by Tando and Tim Holtz. Special techniques inspired by Anna Dabrowska and Andy Skinner.

Front cover of the Bluedon ship’s log

Back cover of the Bluedon ship’s log

Front cover detail

 

Design © 2017, Kim P Moody

 

This week I have started a couple of new projects. There are three faux finish techniques I am going to try; old leather, ‘dragon skin’, and burr walnut.

IMG_0534

The first part is complete. I have given a blank trinket box an old leather finish with a piece of dragon skin to embellish the lid. The full project will be in a future edition of The Decorative Folk Artist, but as a taste here are a couple of pictures of how it started, what went wrong in the middle, and how it all came good in the end – like all good stories should.

IMG_0544

Oh dear! Just when I didn’t want crackle finish!

 

 

faux_dragonskin

Phew! Rescued it in the end!

faux_leather

The faux leather went well!

The walnut (that’s what the coasters are for) is going to be the wood grain from the swollen diseased part of the tree that is so rare, and makes beautiful panels in expensive furniture. But that will be along later …