Archive for the ‘steampunk’ Category

I’ve called this one ‘Unstrung Hero’, for obvious reasons. See the previous post for a full IMG_0619explanation, but basically my daughter wanted her old acoustic guitar ‘steampunked’, as nobody in the family can play it.

It went through many phases on its transformational journey using a range of products from DecoArt, such as Media Fluid Acrylics, Texture Sand Paste. Full details of the project will appear in The Decorative Folk Artist, newsletter for BADFA* members.

Here is the finished guitar. No longer a musical instrument, I have seen to that, but a hero to have survived, and unstrung, to boot!

IMG_0653

 

 

A bit closer for the details …
IMG_4532

(* BADFA is the British Association of Decorative and Folk Art)

Advertisements

“Steampunk it!” she said. “Nobody in the family can play it, so it might as well look good!”IMG_0619

So it begins. I have been the custodian of a rather knocked-about acoustic guitar for a few weeks, and now I’ve cleared the backlog of ‘things-I-gotta-do’, this musical monster has emerged from its lair.

I confronted it, head-on, grabbed it by the neck and ripped out its vocal chords. Now it lays mute on the bench as I scour its glossy skin with sandpaper …

Well, that’s the prep work done. I’ll keep you updated as things progress.

This piece was commissioned as a ship’s log for the MV Bluedon. Not the official log, but one that is suitably decorative for a steampunk captain.

The base is a plain art journal, decorated using DecoArt products, including Media Texture Sand Paste, Modelling Paste, Crackle Paste, and Crackle Glaze, together with Media Fluid Acrylics. Embellishments by Tando and Tim Holtz. Special techniques inspired by Anna Dabrowska and Andy Skinner.

Front cover of the Bluedon ship’s log

Back cover of the Bluedon ship’s log

Front cover detail

 

Design © 2017, Kim P Moody

 

Last time I was mulling over the prospect of a little trompe l’oeil in the hall, but I must finish what I have started before I move on to a new project.

Nearly a year ago I started to convert an old, rather boring, uplighter, into a steampunk ‘domestic illumination tower’. I made good progress on the dismantling, preparation and early construction phases, but the annual BADFA convention, and summer got in the way.

The ‘after’ photo

But …  ’tis done!

The ‘before’ photo

Today, the finishing touches were added. Quite a mix of techniques were used; compression fittings, pipe bending, sheet copper work, electrical soldering. There were some arty bits, too. Faux copper finish in acrylics, and distress inks, and blending.

The full story will appear in the next edition of The Decorative Folk Artist, due out early in September. Here are a couple of pictures to whet your appetite.

My next piece will use more traditional methods; paint and brushes.