Posts Tagged ‘Media Fluid Acrylics’

IMG_0750This is a project I’ve wanted to try for ages. Some time ago I found an old, traditional French bread bin – huche de pain – and thought that the front panel is crying out for a little trompe l’oeil.

 

The huche is finished in DecoArt Americana Decor Chalky Finish in ‘Serenity’, discretely distressed (as opposed to thoroughly traumatised, as is the want of some upcycle-ers), and treated with clear wax.

The picture is in DecoArt Americana acrylic paints, with DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics for shadow.

Details shown below:

 

 

IMG_0757IMG_0756

IMG_0752

Advertisements

I haven’t posted much recently. Since taking early retirement, I seem to have been too busy.

I’ve up-cycled a load of furniture, helped Julie re-organise the conservatory into a working studio, taken loads of photos, done boring stuff like gardening and clearing the garage, and a load of other things (the shower is a WIP at present).

I spent a day Powertex-ing, and played with DecoArt Texture Sand Paste, and we went to Sheffield to spend a day with a bunch of Yorkshire lasses creating a mixed-media art journal.

And tomorrow I head off to the Lake District for a three day Cumbrian Adventure. Julie will be there to attend a photographic course, which leaves me free to explore! Now, I’ve got nothing planned, but I will have the internet and a large map, so I could end up anywhere – I’ll try and book in with Facebook (technology permitting) so you can see what I’m up to.

 

But it didn’t turn out the way I planned.

It all started OK. Black gesso, dirtied up with Quinacridone Gold, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, Burnt Umber, English Red Oxide, and sealed with Matte Medium.

I continued. Once dry I applied Crackle Paint, but to add a little je ne sais qua I dipped the loaded brush into Quin Gold. Very nice.

This is where things went astray. I ended up with a flower. Oh, well. Hope you like it. 

 

This piece was commissioned as a ship’s log for the MV Bluedon. Not the official log, but one that is suitably decorative for a steampunk captain.

The base is a plain art journal, decorated using DecoArt products, including Media Texture Sand Paste, Modelling Paste, Crackle Paste, and Crackle Glaze, together with Media Fluid Acrylics. Embellishments by Tando and Tim Holtz. Special techniques inspired by Anna Dabrowska and Andy Skinner.

Front cover of the Bluedon ship’s log

Back cover of the Bluedon ship’s log

Front cover detail

 

Design © 2017, Kim P Moody

 

Just a short post this time.

Back in Mixology weekend Kate Crane showed is some new techniques with a brayer. Normally I take my part finished project home and it gets filed under ‘pending’. But this time I’ve completed it.

Thanks Kate. Great class

 

A friend of Julie’s spotted her ‘Sail away’, retirement countdown board and, as she is heading towards voluntary redundancy, took a fancy to it. There was no other option. She had to have her own. Lazy days …

Painted with DecoArt Americana colours, with a little assistance from their Media Fluid Acrylics, on a small framed blackboard.

What do you think?

I can’t believe that this time last week I was on my way to Crick for the BADFA Convention! Tempus darned well fugit-ed! What a great weekend it was, too!

I spent Friday in Suz Humphrey‘s class, painting a rather nifty peacock feather in the morning, and learning some equally nifty techniques with her FolkIt session after lunch – a super day, thanks Suz!

After painting all day Friday with Peggy Harris, those brave enough came to my Friday Fun session.

After rounding them in to teams we had a quick quiz – the theme was famous women, with some obscure questions I’d found – followed by an hour of making some kind of animals with modelling balloons. I’m not sure where their minds were going, but some of the articles produced were not of any animal I’ve ever seen.

Saturday, it was my turn to teach. I lead a gentle introduction to mixed media where everyone was encouraged to experiment with texture and colour, and to try media that they hadn’t used before. All seemed to go as planned.

Julie and I got to grips with Powertex on Saturday evening. We’d heard about it but this was our first ‘hands-on’ with it. We’ll be getting mucky again soon, when Claire and Debra run another class in the studio in Crawley.

Sunday was wind-down day for me. Peggy taught her last class, and convention shut down for another year. Everyone packed up and went home.

Thanks to the Ibis Hotel at Crick. They provided the rooms, the service, and the attention to our needs, and made it a pleasure to deal with them. All their staff are willing to put themselves out; making meals for one with special requirements, additional towels on request, a toothbrush, and coping with constant changing numbers of guests for our sit down dinner, our messy attendees, and happily disposing of large quantity of recyclables.

Thanks to DecoArt and JoSonja for sponsoring the paints.

And thanks to everyone who took the time to come along and join in, in whatever capacity. I believe it was our best so far …

Members can read the full, inside story in the newsletter – out soon!