Posts Tagged ‘paint finish’

The marble headboard is finished. The colours chosen for this take on Carrara marble are shades of grey (but not fifty!).

The finished piece

Rather than the extremes of black and white, I have used Paynes Grey for the darkest, and mixed a value 8-9 grey for the lightest. White was used for the light fault lines.

The finish was built on MDF, sealed, then base coated with a pale beige silk emulsion.  The final finish is satin. What do you think?

    

Advertisements

Left to right: flogger, softener, spalter, stippler

It helps to have the right tools for the job.

I have a commission for a large faux finish piece, so I need the proper equipment to get it done. On a small decorative article I can use my ordinary artist brushes and achieve the desired results, but this one will need more time, and the correct tools.

It took a while to track them down, but after checking out various suppliers, I ordered them on-line.

To achieve the desired finish the paint has to remain ‘open’ – workable – for considerably longer than it would normally, so it is mixed with a glazing medium. An industrial size pot is needed, rather than the small quantities used in art work.

My commission is for a large faux marbre (marble) headboard, so I need a large stippler and a badger hair softener. For faux bois (wood), I’ll need a horse-hair flogger and a spalter. They’ve all arrived, so I’m ready to paint!

RIGHT! OK you lot, LISTEN UP! Now all the hoo-ha of Julie retiring is over, it’s my turn.

I retired last week, as well.

It was a bit like my own mini-Brexit – getting free from the oppressive constraints of a huge organisation that has lost it’s way, and being free to negotiate, and make better deals for myself. No more trying to fit things in around work, or taking a day’s leave to be able to get to an event; my time is my own to manage as I wish.

So – I’m available and free! (well, reasonably cheap), open to offers, and raring’ to go!

The recently announced new project is making slow progress. Abstract designs are difficult to get right; there’s a surprise.

The shape and texture was easy, but now I am trying to get the colours to do what I want, and it’s not happening. So I’ve put it to one side for a while, and done something else.

Julie wants some storage for her craft materials, but no boring plastic boxes for her. We tracked down some fruit crates in rough sawn timber and have treated them to a special paint finish. They used to look like this:

Plain crate

But now they look like this (may be I’ll take some better pics!):

finished crates   finished crate   IMG_0364

Once they are lined with a suitable material, they’ll be ready for use. I am waiting the completion of some special boxes to keep her 12×12 scrapping papers in good order and then we’ll have the full set.